5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 19647 times)  

I would like to find a golden book that my mother had as a child, here's what I know about it.

A story about a little girl that lived on an island. She had a doll made of either corn husks or coconuts. Sailors came to the island and gave her a brand new doll which she loved, she tossed the old doll aside. She eventually went back to the old doll realizing new is not always better.

My grandmother is determined it was a Little Golden Book - time frame: My mother was born in 1947 so I am guessing around 1950 - 1955.

I would appreciate any help anyone has with title, or date of book or where I might purchase it.

Thanks so much!

surprisegrandma

I believe this story is 'Ukelele and her new doll'. It was published in 1951. It is number 102. It was illustrated by Campbell Grant and written by Clara Louise Grant.

I still have UKELELE and her new doll. It was my favorite book as a child and it looks it! I treasure the story and it has great pictures. A wonderful lesson related to making new friends but keeping the old. Also the value of function over beauty. It was my bed time story like good night moon is for children today. At the end she puts the new china doll on the floor and takes her wooden doll to bed with her and hugged her tight till they were both fast asleep.

I loved Ukelele too!! thanks so much for telling me the title. I had that story as part of a hardcover multi story golden book collection. It also included Scuffy and the Tugboat but when I look on the internet, none of the collections listed have the same stories that one did. Does anyone know please what collection Ukelele and her new doll was in. I was so fascinated by the way she lived when I was a child. I remeber it had a blue cover, my dear old Dad decided to clear out the book shelf one day without telling us God love him!!! so it's gone and I would dearly love another one

okay

I loved Ukelele too!! thanks so much for telling me the title. I had that story as part of a hardcover multi story golden book collection. It also included Scuffy and the Tugboat but when I look on the internet, none of the collections listed have the same stories that one did. Does anyone know please what collection Ukelele and her new doll was in. I was so fascinated by the way she lived when I was a child. I remeber it had a blue cover, my dear old Dad decided to clear out the book shelf one day without telling us God love him!!! so it's gone and I would dearly love another one

okay
5 posts :: Page 1 of 1